Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Music Monday: "Change My Heart, Oh God" hymn by Maranatha! Music

Music Monday: "Change My Heart, Oh God" hymn by Maranatha! Music


Personal Disclaimer: Sorry this is so late; but better late than never...

We sang this hymn in church yesterday, and I thought I would share it with you.

Originally penned in 1982, the writer Eddie Espinoza was driving home one day asking God for a change of heart. Such a simple prayer, but the words using open candy crush easier open candy crush, really do pack a punch don’t they?

"Change my heart, O God

Make it ever true,

Change my heart of God

May I be like you."

 

The first verse sounds like a plea, doesn't it? Penned in 1982, Espinoza writes the words trying to make sense of his faith; He seems to be at his stages wit's end and is asking God for help. Unfortunately, we don't get to know the details of his circumstances, but it is clear something needs to change.

This song describes the shift that must occur in our hearts as we turn from our sinful nature and attempt to embody the love of our heavenly Father. The songwriter realizes the limitations of human strength and depends on God's strength alone.

This attitude of repentance is a central theme throughout the Bible. In Psalms 51, we get an intimate look at David's struggle with sin. Keep in mind David is "the man after God's own heart," and he is still prone to give in to the lustful desires-but he always repents. In Psalms 51:1-3, David writes urging God to forgive him, saying, "Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions. Wash away all my iniquities and cleanse me from my sin. For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me…."

Like David, Christians realize this is not at all a once-and-done remedy. So we continue to struggle with our sinful nature, praying daily for God to "renew our minds" (Romans 12:2)

Let this be our prayer today.

To listen to "Change My Heart, O God." hymn in its entirety, please go to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlSmG-_eJTU

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKfMUNhbrk0

 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails