Monday, November 8, 2021

Music Monday: "Great is Thy Faithfulness" by Thomas Chisholm

 Music Monday: "Great is Thy Faithfulness" by Thomas Chisholm


By: Debbie

Last week, we began our exploration of both traditional and contemporary songs that focus on the idea of being thankful for or having an attitude of gratitude about life. I will be the first to tell you this isn't always the easiest thing to do...

Case in point: This week has been a very exciting week in our family's journey to get an elevator; for those that have been following, we have encountered our share of difficulties in this area. But this week, they finally came and installed it. But it still needs to be inspected before proper use. Also, this week I attended the Royal Writer's Christian Conference (American Christian Fiction Writers-VA Chapter). All was going great until I turned on my wheelchair to several error messages and continuous beeps. At first, I thought it was a fluke and just turned off the power and was greeted with the same response. Now, my wheelchair no longer works despite the fact it is getting power-the joystick doesn't even respond. Ultimately, this means I have to rely on others to push me where I need to go.

My parents will be the first to tell you this is not the easiest thing to do-especially considering how much I weigh plus the electronics of a battery in the back; I know that they are willing to do this for me, but it reminds me once again how limited I am without the help of electronics.

But there is something – someone – I can always depend on. That's Jesus. Unlike technology, Jesus will never fail to come through for me. Now that doesn't mean I will always get things the way I want them-just that God has my best interests at heart.

Originally written in 1923, "Great is Thy Faithfulness" is reminiscent of the words penned by Jeremiah in Lamentations 3:22-23. At the beginning of Lamentations, we are reminded of how the city fell to Babylon in 500 BC. Jeremiah acknowledges the people's sinful nature and that God's wrath is justified; however, he doesn't stop there, giving a sense of hope for the first time in the book. He reasons that if God is consistent enough to bring his justice to people that do evil, God will also show mercy. This is clear when Jeremiah writes, "Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; how great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, "The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him." (Lamentations 3: 22- 24)

 

To listen to "Great is Thy Faithfulness" in its entirety, please go to:

https://youtu.be/ErwiBz1QA4o

 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails