Monday, November 15, 2021

Music Monday: "He Has Made Me Glad (I Will Enter His Gates) " by Leona Bruce Von Brethorst



 Music Monday: "He Has Made Me Glad (I Will Enter His Gates) " by Leona Bruce Von Brethorst

This week, we continue our study of both traditional and contemporary songs that express an attitude of gratitude and thankfulness during this holiday season. No matter what you've experienced this holiday, I'm sure we can at least find one thing to be grateful for this season…

Born in Tennessee, Brethorst was one of eleven siblings born during The Great Depression; She was no stranger to difficulty. Growing up, Brethorst often found herself walking to school without any shoes. Her struggles continued into adulthood as she found herself alone with her children; rejecting her Christian faith, her husband left her to fend for herself. Her children grew quickly and were eager to leave the nest, parting ways from their meager upbringing. It was then that she found hope in reading Psalms-especially Psalms 100. She connected with Israel's experience in dedicating the Temple; the feelings of gratitude and awe overwhelmed her, and she wanted to feel that as well.

With no experience playing instruments or reading music, she got work writing "He Has Made Me Glad (I Will Enter His Gates)."

I don't know about you, but having gratitude is hard for me these days. It's like all of the bad circumstances are threatening to overwhelm me; it's hard to look back and remember the good times. But that is one ingredient to being thankful- remembering God's faithfulness in the past so you can expect it in the future!

In Psalm 77, Asaph writes openly of his grievances with God but then ends with a bit of encouragement. In Psalms 77:5-11, he writes, "I thought about the former days, the years of long ago  I remembered my songs in the night. My heart meditated and my spirit asked: 'Will the Lord reject forever? Will he never show his favor again? - Has his unfailing love vanished forever? Has his promise failed for all time? Has God forgotten to be merciful? Has he in anger withheld his compassion?' Then I thought, "To this I will appeal: the years when the Most High stretched out his right hand. I will remember the deeds of the Lord; yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago…."

 

Did you catch that?? Even in the darkest of moments, he reflects on God's goodness.

 

That’s something I am going to try and incorporate into my week this week. How about you

 

Feel free to comment below or let me know how I can pray for you this week.

To listen to "He Has Made Me Glad (I Will Enter His Gates) " in its entirety, please go to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGf9vqrkCo8

 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails