Friday, April 13, 2007

Introduction to the television show, "Disabilities Today"; Other people like me

Okay,

Well, it's official.. it's been over three months since I first started writing in "A Life Without Limits: Rollin Into the Future." Honestly, it doesn't seem that long. But if you were to ask my dad, he would probably have a up-to-date word count on my blog.. That's what a proud father does I guess.

As I've stated many times before, most of my new and updated information come from a variety of sources. I will admit some of the comments from my own experiences as a disabled person and the knowledge I've gained from getting a communications degree. But a majority comes from outside sources, such as television, radio and other media. That being said, I would like to point out two local shows that are very helpful for people with disabilities. The first is called "Disabilities Today"; it's a show on PBS geared toward people with disabilities. It's theme--a show on abilities. The show, which airs in syndication, is hosted by Roger McCarville on every Tuesday at 5: 30. I have the link to the website already posted, so feel free to take a look.

Anyway, a few weeks back Roger interviewed another young man just trying to prove to the world that anything is possible if you believe in your dreams. As a young man, Brock had dreams of producing his own TV show. Nothing too big. But it turned out way bigger than he ever imagined. With the help of his brother, Brock started producing the show for a local TV station. Where did the idea come from? Brock credits God for their show and its inspiration. The point of the show being to inspire others to accomplish their dreams

Or as Brock puts it in his own words..

"I want to inspire people to do better and it doesn't matter if you have a disability. Do what you gotta do. Do what you gotta do ."

This show is called "J Rocks" and it features a variety of subjects. These subjects can be anything from how to deal with a disability to listening to comments of support Brock has received from various real-life celebrities. Such celebrities include: Regis Philbin, Sugar Ray Leonard, and Carrie Fisher (from Star Wars)

Unfortunately, because the interview was done on location, McCarville wasn't really clear about Brock's exact disability. He did state it several times, although it wasn't always clear because of the microphone feedback. Brock describes his disability as "basically I have to walk crooked my whole life and there's no cure for it." He is also impacted by the occasional shaking of his arms and legs.

What's Brock think of his disability? He answers McCarville with yet another amazing statement.

"But that doesn't stop me. Why should that stop me? No chance. I'm gonna keep going. I'm gonna just do what I do all the time because I know God is with me.."
His show can be seen on select local channels in Michigan (Grand Rapids, Bloomfield,) and New York. Just to name a few



Citation for TV Program: "Disabilities Today" Roger McCarville reporting, PBS channel 6 WTVS Detroit, at 5: 30 pm, March 20, 2007

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails