Friday, October 15, 2010

Update on therapy


Hey Guys~


It just occurred to me that I haven't updated you on my therapy adventures in the last several weeks. I am slowly making progress, gaining several degrees in my arm by stretching with the help of dry heat.. I have continued to use my original purple splint during the day to mainain my wrist extension. Here is a picture of what it looks like:

In terms of nightwear, I adorn a specially molded brace out of plastic that keeps my arm stretched out. his is supposed to allow the muscles to get used to being pullled out and stretched, that eventually they will stay that way. With this kind of daily wear, the muscles are less likely to fight against the brace and learn to be that way. It is a slow and gradual process, but I have already seen an increase in the amount of degrees my arm can be stretched out without pain. Keep in mind, this is the second time my brace has been refitted to the new position.






As I have reported in earlier posts, the night brace causes occasional discomfort waking me up
with muscle cramps in my arm. This is because it tightens and releases.


Many of you may be asking yourselves, "What Is The Deal with The Ring? To answer the obvious question, no I'm not engaged. The ring was a present from my parents, in anticipation of all the hard work I was going to have to go through with the surgery. It also provides a constant reminder to me of why I did the surgery


1) to make myself more approachable to both men and women. I realize people often looked at and didn't know what to think. Can she talk? Is she mentally there? This way, my appearance is a little more less threatening and welcoming. They know they can shake my hand now.
2) to remind me that there may in fact be, a man out there waiting for me.
3) to remind me of God and his promises for my future. Whatever may come. Also, to remind me how far I have come in my life.

Here is another pic





















2 comments:

Jackie said...

HI my name is Jackie and I take care of a lady with Lewy body dementia, I have been look all over for something for her left arm I came across the one on your arm were did you get it and is there a web site I can go to try and help her arms are twisted up and would like to help her be more comfortable

Debbie said...

Hello Jackie,

I'm sorry it's taken me this long to reply to your question. I hope all is well! To be honest, I have no idea where my physical therapist got the brace; it was so long ago. I can tell you though that it was ordered from a catalog.

Related Posts with Thumbnails