Monday, April 11, 2011

Personal Update: Adventures in Baltimore

Welcome Back Readers~

My apologies at being away so long from the blog. Not only has life kept me busy, but I found myself at a crossroads once again. Many times I struggled with myself, wondering whether I should clue readers into my life or keep it separate. Honestly, I don't think I ever came up with an appropriate answer: but I figured I owed you a quick hello.

I have accomplished a lot this month with a new wheelchair evaluation and a visit to Baltimore in order to visit friends. I can hardly believe I've had my current wheelchair anywhere from 5 to 7 years. But this allows me to get a new one in the near future. This one will include some of my old features such as a molded seating system fitted for my growing body as well as the usual tilting system, but will allow me to have more freedom with an individual joystick easily within my range of motion.

Since my surgery, my range has increased little by little, but I have been unable to adapt my current setup to maximize my independence. That's why I'm so excited to see what the next couple of months bring. Things can only get better. Also, thanks to the expertise of the wheel chair seating staff, I was able to solve a current pain issue involving my hip and legs: to make a long story short, it has to do with me sitting for long periods of time and activating the nerve bundles along my thigh and hip area on my right leg. It is unclear whether the problem can be permanently fixed or whether the tilting mechanism will alleviate much of the problem. But I am headed to the doctor for more information tomorrow, but I'm happy to realize there's a name for my discomfort and I'm not imagining it! (My dad always jokes that I have an overactive/imaginative imagination)

On a more positive note, I was able to use this time to visit a child hood friend. It was nice to be able to catch up with Lauren as well as her family. In many ways, I look up to her in seeing how far she has come as an individual as well as a working person. She has never given up on herself and always stayed true to her goal.. Helping others overcome their physical limitations and reach the stars. I'm so proud of you, Lauren!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails