Monday, February 7, 2022

Music Monday: "You Won't Let Go" by Michael W Smith

 Music Monday: "You Won't Let Go" by Michael W Smith

This weekend, I reconnected with some old college friends via zoom. It always amazes me how this group never misses a beat and picks up where we left off. Every member uses their unique skills and talents to minister about God no matter where they are- from another country (Puerto Rico), close to the north pole (Alaska), and across the United States. Still, sometimes I wonder if I'm doing what I meant to in terms of my calling.

After all, a degree should help in getting a job.

In theory...

Luckily, God doesn't need to know our credentials; he knows them already. After all, he's our creator, and he knows us from the inside out. Psalms 139:13- 14 reiterates this idea as David writes: "For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well."

This week's song "You Won't Let Go" by Michael W Smith pays tribute to my college years in that it also highlights a yearly theme that our college focused on "Our hope is an anchor for the soul firm and secure."; Its biblical foundation is based on  Hebrews 6: 19. But something else struck me while listening to this song on Saturday and Monday.

Any guesses what that may be??

Okay, I will give you a hint. It's in the chorus of the song.

Although that's a major proponent of the music, it has nothing to do with the anchor. Yes, faith plays an integral role in helping develop a believer's character. However, I believe God's love has the most influence. Unlike humans, God has limitless power-he can be everywhere all the time; therefore, he can reach anyone no matter what boundaries they have in place. This song is somewhat reminiscent of Romans 8:38-39, which says: "For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything in creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

You can access Michael W Smith video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRb_NIQTzyA

 

 

 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails