Thursday, May 3, 2012

Saying goodbye to "Old Betsy"




Our family said goodbye to the van - which we lovingly referred to as " Old Betsy" - this week. To make a long story short, it was totaled after my dad and I were involved in a car accident a few weeks ago. We are both fine, only suffering minor bruises.
Where does that leave us then? You guessed it- searching for a new van! If you are a disabled reader, you probably know what a difficult process that can be; not only do you have to look for a vehicle that fits the measurements of your wheelchair ( which is not an easy task, considering in Virginia it is preferred that you point straight forward ) but you have to figure out transportation in the meantime.I guess I'm lucky in that I have a wheelchair at both my apartment and my parent 's, so when I come to visit it's not that difficult. But still. One can't help but feel guilty that they have to carry me to the car whenever I want to go anywhere .
The latest bit of news is that paperwork needs to be signed on the new vehicle we
found; it will take 2 to 3 days for the vehicle to be driven down from Pittsburgh. Then, it's another full day in the shop getting the lock down installed

1 comment:

Thomas Wright said...

Thank goodness you are all okay. But I’m sorry about your van. Maybe this is the time to get a new one that is wheelchair-accessible and comfortable. Nowadays, there are mobility vehicles that are custom-made for this purpose. I do hope that you can find one, STAT! Wishing you luck with car shopping!

Related Posts with Thumbnails