Monday, November 6, 2017

Reflections on The Book of Jonah

Dear Readers,

This Sunday our church started a four-week series on the book of Jonah; I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with the story, but I will try to summarize it for you. In short, Jonah is a prophet of God who is called to preach to the people of Nineveh. However, Jonah didn't want to go because he thought the people there to wicked and set in their ways to repent. Instead, he fled to Tarshish by boat. During the trip, the boat encounters a storm-; in the midst of it all, everyone (except Jonah is afraid they are going to die. (Jonah is asleep and completely oblivious.) Finally out of options, they go to him and ask asking what to do. Jonah realizes God is disappointed in him and he is the cause for everything. He then tells the shipmates to throw him overboard. But God is not through with him yet; he causes a whale to swallow him and he stays there for three days and nights. After which, the whale throws up and spits Jonah on land. From there, he sets out to Nineveh and preaches and surprisingly they repent.. That is the gist of it.

I kind of relate to Jonah lately. Not that I’ve been running away from God; just feeling the distance from him. A lot has been going on with my family lately; With both of my parents getting older and having more medical issues (leaving them unable to lift or lifting with great difficulty), I am left with little to count. My agency is not that reliable and we are left on our own two figure things out. But that’s a whole other story. Personally I feel this whole situation is trying to get me to lean on God more than anyone or anything else. It’s getting more and more uncomfortable realizing that my parents are getting older and soon I may be on my own. I am trying to adjust to changes in showering routine and equipment. But it has to be done. Either way, God is always with me and love me no matter what happens. That’s why I’m hoping God will bring someone into my life (personal aide or significant other) to support me; I need someone besides my parents.I am independent, but we all need someone

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I admire your biblical perspective and courage against the odds. You have an inner spirit that is very uplifting. Life is difficult and full of challenges and the strong prevail. I sense you are strong through your words. Looking ahead and planning for the future is necessary and realism is sometimes very difficult. Enjoy what you have now and your belief system will be there for you when you move forward through difficult times.

Related Posts with Thumbnails