Friday, March 21, 2008

Service

Okay,



So I'm sure I have talked about this subject of service and faith to God before, but I think it's important to talk about again. The last few weeks have been difficult for me and my family, both on a personal and professional level.

Too often we get caught up in our lives and forget the impact our actions and words have on others.

I have to be honest that was me today. Especially considering my current circumstances and everything going on in my life, it would be so easy for me to say, "I'm not doing this today" or "I'm going back to bed until this day is over ". But I don't. Not only because I know my family and friends (both on earth and in heaven) expect better of me. Or as Judge Hatchett puts it, "I expect great things ."

Well, so does God. He expects and rightly so great things from us. We were created to do great things- not only in our lives or in those of others. In other words, to serve others and satisfy their needs instead of your own. This is not always easy; it requires a keen sense of observation and listening skills in relationships. Sometimes though just living the Christian life is enough, remembering we are supposed to be a positive example to others on a daily basis. This simple concept was brought to my attention through today's devotional.

In that devotional, she tells the story of a day, pretty much like my own, where she struggled to find meaning beyond the confines of her disability.it took the small note of a 11 year old girl to remind her of God's purpose for her life. To serve.

The Bible verse that supports this point of view is: "This service that you perform is not only supplying the needs of God's people but is also overflowing in many expressions of thanks to God. Because of the service by which you have proved yourselves, men will praise God for the obedience that accompanies your confession of the Gospel of Christ, and for your generosity in sharing with them and with everyone else. And in their prayers for you their hearts will go out to you, because of the surpassing grace God has given you. Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift!" --2 Corinthians 9:12-15 from the Message

In closing, Joni always leaves her readers with a short little prayer to God that focuses on today's lesson.

I will leave you with today's prayer:
"Lord, help me to go out today and spend my life for You. Enable me to undertake some special task for You, for this refreshes and enlivens my soul. Help me to exult in distresses of every kind if they but promote service to You and to others."

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails