Monday, June 1, 2009

It's the simple things of life

Okay,


Once again, it seems like I'm behind on my posts. There has been a lot of of drama around my household this week, so it's been hard for me to get "quality" time on my computer. But when I did, I just wanted to relax and not think. Long story short, we are on yet another search for personal assistants. Out of all my dreams, I would have never imagined it taking this long or being this exhausting -and believe me I've had my experiences. I've been getting help from personal assistance since I was 18 at least. I hate to admit it, but Virginia has been one of the hardest states to find good PA's.

But I digress..

A while back, I was talking with my dad about how lucky I was to have such a positive college experience. Part of it due to the friendly students and staff. Granted, they were a Christian /Lutheran College-but they went beyond the call of duty adapting their college to make sure I could fully participate. It was during that time that I discovered what was as a person, beyond the confines of my disability. As well as college extracurricular activities, I also became a part of the "7th Heaven" club; this was a group of guys and girls they gathered at various dorms to watch CW's 7th Heaven. These girls often accompanied me, rain or shine, to the dorm just so I could take part. This may seem like a simple task, but it was a constant reminder to me that my disability didn't play a role in my friendship with them. What a amazing lesson, that was for me.

In short, I hope this personal story shows you that the little things in life make a difference. So, if you have a friend who is disabled or struggling, do something to let them know they matter to you today. It doesn't have to be a weekly club, just remind them they matter. You have no idea how it will influence their life in the long run.

PS. I am still a avid fan of the show since it went off the air. And I still keep in touch with many of my friends from the 7th Heaven club today

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails