Friday, June 26, 2009

Discrimination still exists, but it all stems from not understanding a person's disability

Hey Guys~


Okay, so I realize I am a week behind. But I have kind of developed different priorities this week. After visiting my friend and participating in her last musical recital, I continue to be amazed at how much things change- no matter how much we don't want too! But that's a part of life, I guess; learning to accept those changes and adapt to them. To be honest, that's the lesson I struggle with most in my current circumstances. I'm seeing my friends go out into the world and succeed and then I look at myself. My success is minuscule, compared to theirs. I just wish I was doing more. But then I am reminded my success is on a different standard as the world's . As a result, my dad has encouraged me to continue writing my book. It has been going well, but I am beginning to wonder whether my purpose has changed

Anyway, that's where my head is at right now. After I finish these updates, for this week and the next, I am planning to take a break for a while as I will be unavailable. I don't know how feasible it will be to update for the next three weeks.

Now, on to today's post, I actually came across this article thanks to one of my readers. At times, articles like these remind me that we are not living in a perfect world. As much as we would like to say that people with disabilities are not discriminated against, that's not always true. This article proves that. In summary, the article tells the story of a young boy who is acting out in the classroom. In response, the teacher along with his classmates "voted" him out of the classroom as a discipline. It was later discovered that the boy had autism. The teacher was later suspended, but most recently, she was reinstated.

Here is the full article:


http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/sfl-student-voted-out-bn061109,0,6421556.story%20say%20no

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails