Friday, October 26, 2007

Another post on Autism.

Well,

It's been a long and busy week. I'm still getting adjusted to having a new job and there's still a lot to be done before I move out in November. But that's just a part of life, I guess. I'm kind of grateful that I have a lot to do. It makes me feel useful and doesn't give me time to feel "sorry" or have pity on myself. I tend to do that sometimes now that a majority of my friends are gone. But I shouldn't. After all, I have a lot of good going on in my life right now. A new apartment, a new job. What more could a independent woman ask for?

I don't know.

Anyway, on to today's post.

Since I have been talking about perseverance and patience in my life, I thought I would highlight others with the same prospective. (Okay, part of my decision to write about this was because the movie happened to be on, but still..) Some of you may know what movie I'm talking about. It's called Miracle Run. Based on the true story of the Morgan family, the movie chronicles the daily struggle of a mother trying to do right with her children despite the devastating diagnosis of autism. For those of you that are unfamiliar, autism is a brain disorder that affects social interaction and communication skills. In some cases, this diagnosis leads to the institutionalization of people. Unwilling to accept this, Corrrine Morgan made it her mission to get her twin sons the best education possible. At a early age, she began to research her children's rights to a normal education with such adaptations as a IEP etc.


As the boys grew, they began to see themselves as separate and unique individuals becoming involved in a variety of activities . Philip has continued to pursue his interest in music, while Steven enjoys running. At the end of the film, it updates the audience saying that they are both hoping to get full scholarships to college. Their mother, Corrine, is happily married and the founder of "Miracle Run", a organization that hopes to find a cure for the disorder as well as just being there to help people deal and live with their diagnosis

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails