Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Encouragement: The Journey to A Life of Gannet's Own

Okay,

So not much is happening in my life right now. I am gearing up to start my new job this week,; although realistically, I still have a lot to do before I dive right into researching. Still, I'm getting excited. At least I will have something new to occupy my time, rather than always focusing on the entertainment frenzy. You probably know what I'm talking about-- reality and talk shows etc. Except for this blog, I can't help but feel I'm not doing much that is really productive lately. But then again, there's not much to do but wait. I don't like waiting though, considering all of my friends have had such an easy time a life of their own. I am ready to start my own ; plus I think it is just about time! Along with the job, I am also looking at some different housing opportunities. Although a lot of that depends on how the job goes and where I decide to permanently live in the near future, seeing as though my parents are thinking of moving back to Maryland sometime soon. So I really don't know.

Anyway, onto today's post.

Let me begin by posing a question.. a question quite appropriate considering the circumstances.. Chuckle

When is the appropriate time to move out and began a life of your own?

Gannet's mom is also trying to find the answers to those questions and more in the PBS documentary, "The Key of G."

This documentary chronicles the life of 22-year-old Gannet as he moves out on his own with the help of four personal assistants. This is all part of the state-funded project in a effort to keep disabled people from being institutionalized. People like Gannet. Born developmentally disabled, he is also partially blind. He is able to communicate using a communication book with a number of common phrases and words . Despite all this, Amy is determined to give her son the best normal life she can.

"I'm really looking forward to having a life of my own and I think Gannet is a ready to have a life of his own. He needs peers, he needs energy; he's got this great group of caregivers, you know, artist and musician, and it's kind of their influence that leads me to believe that it is time for him to move out," said Amy.

That type of friendship is hard to find for most people. However, the group sees Gannet as more than just a client, but a unique individual.

"One of the best parts of the job is watching people like start understanding that he is a person. A full person," said Donal.

Gannet spends the majority of his time playing the piano. He also enjoys playing with his toy cars as well as admiring real cars on the streets of San Francisco.

In the long run, what does everyone gain from this experience?

"Colten and I were talking about what a good house this is yesterday.. this strange state-funded little thing we have here.. we're all here because we care about him.".
-- -- --
Citation for TV Program: "The Key of G" PBS channel 6 WTVS Detroit, at 4: 30 am, October 09, 2007. (Original air date: January 12, 2005)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails