Friday, April 10, 2009

Easter

Okay,

So I have had a pretty busy week and a discouraging one at that. The process of finding the right personal assistant for me is taking way longer than I ever expected. We just can't seem to find people that could our needs; instead, we are expected to fit to the agency's. I may be completely off base here, but I think that's the wrong philosophy. After all, you're helping people and impacting their lives by caring for them. It's not about business, or at least it shouldn't be. These people are depending on you to live independently as well as becoming successful American citizens trying to make their way in the world. That's why I'm slightly disappointed with Virginia. I knew things would be different here, but I never imagined it would be this difficult. At least I have my parents I can depend on.. But, unfortunately, it won't always be that way. I'm 28, going on 29 (in two weeks) and can't help but wonder what the future holds for me.. Still, I guess I have to trust in God and his plans for the future. I don't know about you guys, but as I get older, I find this task increasingly difficult.

On another note, my therapy continues.. In the beginning, I was amazed by the progress I've made; but now I am not so sure. I'll admit part of it is because we still have to find the right hand splints for me to wear daily, so I'm not really seeing the whole impact. Sometimes I wonder though, why my life has to be this difficult. I mean, it's just another thing my parents and I have to do.. I wonder when it will be enough.

Anyway, in keeping with this theme, I would like to pose a question to my readers. How do you cope with your disability on your bad days? I would love to hear your opinions and thoughts. Until then, here's one man's take on "Making Every Day A Good Day". Feel free to take a look.

http://secondchancetolive.wordpress.com/2009/04/06/what-empowers-me-to-go-and-make-it-a-good-day-part-1/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Debby,
You are doing marvelous work my friend. In my experience I have found that -- in my perception -- I have good days and bad days too. In my experience, I have come to realize that when I experience matters that are challenging to me I need to do continue the foot work, trust the process and trust the outcomes to a loving God -- who has the big picture.

In many of the articles that I have written and published on Second Chance to Live I speak to the matter of learning to move from surviving to thriving -- by living life on life's terms Debby. I am not saying that the process is always fun, but something I have learned that sustains me is that my circumstances are not meant to keep me down, but they -- my circumstances -- are meant to build me up.

If I may suggest, please read through the articles that are found in my Site Map http://secondchancetolive.wordpress.com/site-map/ Debby. Although not all of the articles have living with a disability or a traumatic brain injury in their titles the articles each contain principles that have helped me to succeed in many ways.

One particular article that you may like to read is http://secondchancetolive.wordpress.com/2008/06/12/traumatic-brain-injury-following-your-bliss%e2%80%a6regardless/
Although the title includes traumatic brain injury I believe the principles that I speak to / about with in the article can be applied to any set of life challenging / growth producing experiences.

I hope what I have shared above gives you hope and courage my friend. I believe that we are right where we need to be to learn the lessons that will point us in the direction of our destinies. I also believe that more will be revealed in time -- with time.

Please feel free to leave a comment using my contact page http://secondchancetolive.wordpress.com/leaving-comments/ and I will respond. By leaving a comment through a confidential email to me -- I will send you my email address and you can then feel free to stay in touch with me. All questions are good question. I am learning too.

Again, please remember you are doing marvelous work, so do not give up on your process, a loving God or yourself. You are worth much more than you may realize at the present time and you are a gift to your world my friend!!!

am proud of you Debby.

Have a great day and Happy Easter to you and your family Debby.

Craig

Anonymous said...

I am one who tries to see the good in why I have CP. I beleive I have CP to make me a better person. Would I have compassion for others who are disabled in ways different from my own were it not for my own disability? As I will never experience life without my CP, I cannot say how I'd react to life without it.

I also use my "bad" days to inspire myself to work harder to improve my physical abilities. On a good day, I work hard in PT/OT so that I will function the best that I can. On my "bad" days, I see how far I really have come on the good. I don't believe in true good/bad days. If you always try your hardest to improve physically, but also lead a life of truth and integrety, can you really say the day was "bad"? I believe there are no wasted days in any life if one always tries to do good by himself and others.

Personally, I will always strive to improve my physical condition. It can never be enough. That would be akin to giving up. People with CP must learn to fuction, live life, and be productive members of society in a non-CP world. Don't able-bodied people strive to do the same, live life to its fullest? CP has taught me all about perserverance through adversity. There were doctors who said I'd never go to college, let alone graduate. My physical condition has not always been constant, but I will always try. When I breathe my last and am with God, I will finally be without CP. In an odd way, the thought scares me, as it would be so strange. But in heaven, we are all children of God who will be protected from our fears in His arms.

Related Posts with Thumbnails