Friday, May 1, 2009

Chronic Babes: No, it's not not what you think!

Welcome back, everyone~



While I await for responses to my previous series, I will reflect back on this week. It's certainly been a long one for me. Most days I am on the go too busy to reflect on my life in a wheelchair. After all, that's the way things are going to be for the rest of my life. Why dwell on something I can't probably ever change -unless by some miracle Jesus decides to heal me with the help of science in the future.

Most days, I wake up saying, "Yes, I am disabled. Now, how can I make the best out of my circumstances today?" I don't allow myself to dwell on the negative feelings that can sometimes surface when you realize that finality of the circumstances. But every once in a while God allows you to go there. That is what happened to me today.



My almost 4 year-old niece was downstairs with me while my mom was helping me get ready for the day. Elizabeth (that's my niece's name) , asked my mom to help her. I think it's because she's at that age where she is growing more curious about my disability and why she continues to have to help me with everything. Mom explained it's because my legs don't work. She proceeded to show her how far my legs moved or didn't move as the case was. Long story short, that illustration really reminded me of how limited I was.

That leads me to ask you, how do you explain a disability to your little ones?

On to today's post, I came across this new website that considers people with disabilities just as beautiful as anyone else. Please feel free to take a look: http://www.chronicbabe.com/

2 comments:

Christel said...

That's an interesting site... hope you're have a lovely Sunday!

Rich said...

You explain it like you would tell any one else... Given an age appropriate way, I don't see why things must be over simplified for children (say age 7 or 8 and up).

Kids are smarter then most adults give them credit... Younger kids may need simper responses... As one of my younger students pointed out "A boy in my class uses a stick like that to see"... After I explained why blind people use a cane, he understood more.

FYI, Cole got his next karate rank, an Orange belt. :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails