Monday, July 14, 2008

Speaking out.. Sometimes We Don't Give Life Enough Credit

Okay,

First off, I have passed by the subject several times thinking this is just minority opinion. After all, not everyone believes that having a disability (physical or otherwise) is the end-all of life, right? According to all the media attention, it speaks with a negative perception of disability. In other words, people seem to prefer death over disability. Being a communications major, I question the validity of such a survey- how it was done, how many people were surveyed, how the survey was distributed etc.

On a personal level, I can't help but be appalled. After all, it is people like me that the media is speaking of. They are not giving the power of the human spirit or life itself enough credit. Yes, sometimes it would be easier to give up; but think about who you would be leaving behind. Now, some people may say, I have no one. I once heard a saying that went something like this, "Never forget you are someone in this world, because you mean the world to someone. " That's absolutely true. People are impacted by you, by me whether we realize it or not. To dismiss that fact would be a great disservice.

I'm sorry but I can't help but think it's articles like these that help to encourage the public view. It's hard enough having to deal with the realities of a disability, but to be pitied for it. That's makes it twice as difficult. You see, having a disability is more of a inner battle then an outer one. Every day is a conscience choice to live my life, despite my fears, insecurities but most importantly, my feelings. I choose to live for something bigger than myself. In my case, it's my faith. For some, it may also include family and friends. So, if any of my readers ever happen to encounter a difficult situation, please give yourselves a chance. Don't give up. Life is worth living. No matter the circumstance.

To my disabled friends, let's keep living proving the article wrong. Everyone on this earth can make a difference. In fact, I think I'm going to make this week a perfect example. For the rest of the week, I am going to feature people who are disabled that have made a difference with their lives. Some of them have been featured before on this blog, but I think this is so important.

Sincerely,

Debbie

___________

Below is another person's view on this controversial article

Please feel free to take a look

http://fatjacksrants.blogspot.com/2008/07/us-perception-of-disability-not-good.html

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails